Thursday, June 23, 2011

Etsy Rosary Guild Team: Irish Penal Crucifix Symbols and Meanings


Research by Christine Stanton of Prayerbedes
Irish Penal Crucifix Symbols and Meanings:

Article written by Christine Stanton of Prayerbedes and continued on the Etsy Rosary Guild Blog.

As I was working on this new rosary today, I was reminded that I have wanted to...research and write about the symbols and their meanings found on the Irish Penal Crucifix.  For a few years, I have been collecting the information I find on the internet regarding the subject and putting it in a folder for this purpose.

One thing that I have been particularly sensitive to lately is the accuracy of information found on the internet.  With that, I have also become aware of the reality that even historical information written in books could be one individual’s interpretation of the facts–especially if it is written many years later.



Chaplet made by Christine Stanton
of prayerbedes on Etsy
So, as I relay this information, I would like to add the disclaimer that though this information is taken from multiple sources, discovering what is fact versus what is fiction can be difficult.  But, just as historians often need to interpret their findings, I am sure that people who lived during the Penal Era in Ireland could also have had some varying ideas of the meanings of these symbols.

Still, there are some symbols that have been recognized by Christians going back as far as biblical times.  Many of the symbols and their meanings on the Irish Penal Cross fall into that category.  Unlike many historical writings, much of the New Testament writings date back to the to the times of Christ.
The Crucifix itself is a symbol of the death and resurrection of Our Lord, and so too are the symbols that surround the Corpus on the Penal Cross....

Article written by Christine Stanton of Prayerbedes and continued on the Etsy Rosary Guild Blog.














No comments:

Post a Comment